Getting injured could be an athlete’s worst fear. Aside from excruciating experience, it could also end a career of a pro athlete since he could not perform the way he used to. The recovery from an injury can be frustrating and exhausting, not to mention costly. So, if you are an athlete, it is time to consider necessary measures to avoid all of these to happen to you.
The solution: sports massage. It is one of the known types of massage therapy. It is specifically designed for athletes although non-athletes may also take advantage of it. The techniques being used in this massage focus on the areas of the body that the athlete overused or stressed from aggressive and repetitive movements during competitions. The technique also varies based on his sport of choice. The goal is to bring back the strength and flexibility of the injured part of the body.
How Sports Massage Edmonton Differs From Other Massages
The regular soothing massage aims mainly to relax and relieve everyday stresses. Sports massage, on the other hand, works in a different way.
It serves as a supplement to a typical injury rehabilitation therapy. Sports massage also uses different techniques not only to recover from an injury but also to avoid it and prevent a re-injury. It can be very beneficial as a component of a comprehensive injury recovery plan for athletes and non-athletes alike.
Other Benefits of Sport Massage
- Boost overall health. Sports massage Edmonton improves blood circulation. It helps the body pump more oxygen and nutrients into the cells and vital organs. This allows the injured area of the body to heal faster.
- Enhances muscle flexibility and range of motion. This helps the athletes to perform more efficiently and keep the intensity of a workout at a safe level.
- Shortens recovery time from training, competition, and injuries. Waste products, such as lactic acid and carbonic acid, can build up within the muscles after an intense training exercise. When circulation is improved, these toxins will be excreted quickly by the body and the recovery time between workouts can be shortened.
- Reduces the fatigue feeling and the intensity of onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Sports massage works like a sedative on the athlete’s nervous system, which helps in averting the syndrome known as “over-training.” When an athlete is overtrained, he can’t effectively rebuild muscles.
- Prevents future injuries. Damaged tissue will heal. However, when it is continually put under stress without the necessary support, such as a massage, there is a possibility of re-injury. Sports massage is not only great for speedy recovery from an injury but also on preventing it.
- Improves mood. Since athletes are always in a competitive mood, massage helps them condition not only the body but the mind as well. It enhances alertness, reduces anxiety, and promotes calmness
Overall, sports massage therapy is beneficial for athletes even if they haven’t injured themselves because it can help the muscle to relax and relieve tension in the body. Anyone who is engage in sport should consider this as part of an overall lifestyle plan.
So if you or someone you know has sustained a sports injury, a massage at Custom Bodies Fitness and Massage would greatly help you. They have professional sport massage therapists who can provide recommendations for the types and techniques of massage therapy that is best for you.