We have all thought about trying to “juice” as a means of detoxing or as a means of adding a some “missing” nutrition to your diet. If you’re going to try “juicing” there are a ton recipes out there to address whatever health and wellness goals you may have. I prefer to use some of the best juicing superfoods out there to help me cover my daily nutritional needs and help with detoxification.
I believe that when you juice with superfoods, it’s the healthiest way of boosting nutrition and a way of recharging your body by giving it an energy boost.
Some of you might not know that its our liver that stores vitamins and the liver uses these vitamins to do pretty much everything for your body, from processing the foods you eat to helping our cells deal with toxins that we sometimes put into our bodies (alcohol).
Even if you juice once a week, it will help detoxify your body and give your liver help with the job it does.
What are Superfoods and Which are Best for Juicing?
- Spirulina. YUMMY!
- Red Bell Pepper
- Chlorella. Is a powerfully nutrient-rich powder that offers a range of health benefits. …
- Wheat Grass. …not entirely my favourite on its own but has amazing health benefits
- Chia Seeds. …my absolute favourite as part of any juicing or protein shake
- Hemp Seeds. …PROTEIN superstar!
- Turmeric. …Yikes…not a tasty option on its own but when combined with Juice or Almond milk….a great detox.
- Ginger. …
- Apple Cider Vinegar.
Sadly, most of our favorite superfoods like cherries, blueberries, spinach and red bell pepper are on the list of foods that are toxic or dirty. Check out both the “dirty dozen list” and the “Clean Fifteen list” which are a guide to levels of pesticides that are in our produce.
For a lot of us, buying organic is just not in the budget. If you cannot buy organic, try:
- frozen organic berries and let them defrost before juicing.
- Peel your red bell pepper with a potato peeler since most pesticides reside in the peel.
Keep an eye for ongoing posts on Juicing. We will be adding recipes for detoxification and others for weightloss.
For now, check out the following Ultimate Detox Juice which is what I think to be the perfect balance of fruits and veggies. Give it a try and submit your own recipes to us at Custom Bodies Fitness and Massage and we will put them into future posts on juicing for health. Add or subtract the apples servings as you like to regulated the sweetness.
- 2 apples of your choice, cut in half and add based on your taste for sweetness
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 1 cucumber (I like the long English Cucumber but you may have to use 1/2)
- 8 leaves kale (again your choice of regular kale or baby kale. I prefer baby kale)
- 1/2 lemon, peeled (If not available, use lemon juice)
- 1 piece fresh ginger (Yummy)
- Sprig of mint (optional but makes the taste amazing)
Blend like crazy and you have yourself what I call my Rockstar Detox Drink