Choosing a massage therapist or for that matter, choosing any medical provider can be a difficult thing. There are so many choices and all claim to “specialize” in something. This is why we strongly believe that the client needs to look at the RMTs education, proven experience and their physical abilities when choosing the right therapist for any massage treatment and in particular for your Therapeutic Sports Massage needs. This blog post will help you get to know us and give you a bit of a history as to how Therapeutic Sports Massage found Us!
After over 20 years as a Disability Claims Manager, I wanted a change and knew that being involved in the health and fitness field was the direction I wanted to take with my career. As a result, I resigned from my long-term stable career, became a personal trainer and began to pursue massage therapy.
There are so many different types of massage therapy and so many areas in which to “specialize”. I knew that therapeutic sports massage was gaining a lot of popularity in the world of massage therapy and it was a very competitive field to get into, but
I decided that this is where I wanted to be and as a result, I did what every aspiring therapist should do.. “Self-promotion”.
Even though I knew I would likely not get to work with any world-famous athletes, I would still have to do the leg work, in other words “market my ass off” to get my name out there and start attracting clients. For the full two years while in massage school this is exactly what I did! I partnered with another like-minded massage therapy student, Thomas Ross, who had the same lifestyle, the same mindset and the same focus and because sports massage caters to a very small demographics of people, we started “tracking” those people down instead of waiting for them to find us and we started taking every course and certification needed to be the absolute best at what we were doing.
We volunteered for sports teams, sports team events, took on sponsored athletes, massaged for charity in sport clubs and gyms, we cultivated relationships with medical providers and if there wasn’t any available events, we created an event and pitched it to the sporting organization.
Through a lot of hard work, our own fitness levels and the fact that we are experienced personal trainers, therapeutic sports massage seems to have finally “found us”.
Custom Bodies Fitness and massage has been “open for business” since 2017 and has been providing all types of massage.
Our team of massage therapists all the following qualifications:
- 2200+ hours and Massage Therapy Diplomas (licensed and registered)
- Advanced Sport Massage Certification
- Advanced Orthopaedic Massage Certification
- IASTM (instrument assisted soft tissue mobilization) Certification
- Dynamic Cupping Massage Certifications
- STR (Soft Tissue Release) – Level 1 Certification
Our team of massage therapists all the following experience
- RedBull Medical Team Massage Therapists
- Team USA – U21 Rugby – Massage Therapist
- Edmonton Prospects Baseball Club – Intern Massage Therapist
- Athletic Sponsors for Massage – Provincial, National and International Level Athletes
- Local Boxing Club – Biweekly sessions with Athletes and Events
- Local Cheer Club – Athletic Events for Charity
- Brent Saik Longest Hockey Game 2018 – For Alberta Cancer Foundation – Massage Therapist
- Seniors Health and Wellness Events – Massage Therapist
- MEC Events – Massage Therapist
- Mizuno Canada – Sports Therapist – Coaches Lounge @ 2018 Canadian National Volleyball Championships
Therapeutic Sports Massage is more than a treatment for injuries, sports massage produces overwhelming benefits for athletes physically, physiologically, and psychologically.
It is important to choose your therapeutic sports massage therapist wisely. Reach out to us at Custom Bodies Fitness and Massage to discuss your individual athlete’s needs, your teams needs or your to discuss your sporting event.
If you found this article useful, please “Like” us on FaceBook and share it with others. Thanks for stopping by!